ABOUT THE BATTLE OF HOMESTEAD FOUNDATION
The Battle of Homestead Foundation (BHF) is a diverse organization of citizens, workers, educators and historians. It’s purpose is to preserve, interpret, and promote a people’s history focused on the significance of the dramatic labor conflict at Homestead, Pennsylvania in 1892.
While the many consequences of that tragic event persist in society, the sole existing structure of the 1892 Homestead Steel Works is the site of the battle itself, Pump House No. 1 , located in Munhall, Pa.
Many people interested in the Battle, as well as the history of the working class and the Labor movement, are dedicated to preserving the Pump House as a labor monument to working people that will attract tourism, labor groups, students, and anyone in any way interested in Western Pennsylvania’s fascinating industrial and labor heritage. The BHF strives to assist and abet these interests and efforts.
Toward those goals and objectives, BHF was incorporated in 1997 as a 501c3 non-profit corporation for charitable and educational purposes. BHF evolved from the Homestead Strike Centennial Commemorative Committee, founded in 1990.
After the dismantling of the historic Homestead Steel Works in the 1980s, then-owner Park Corporation performed restorative work on the Pump House. In 1996, BHF was formed in response to Park’s efforts, developing plans for a minimalist interpretive program for the site. Park welcomed the initiatives, and subsequent owners and developers, Continental Real Estate, also proved hospitable. Today the site is owned and benevolently operated by Rivers of Steel National Heritage Area, who also offer many educational programs, tours, and events related to the Pump House as well as other local points of interest.
Since 1990, an impressive list of productions and events pertaining to the Pump House have been presented, supported, and organized by BHF.
Early on, group members collaborated on an anthology The River Ran Red, followed by a film of the same name produced by Steffi Domike and Nicole Fauteux which was broadcast by PBS in 1993.
All our welcome to take part and enjoy the films, music, theater, lectures, forums, exhibits, publications, and poetry. Check our calendar of events for current offerings.
BHF meets almost every Wednesday morning at the Eat’n Park Restaurant at the Waterfront in Homestead. All are welcome!
Join Us! Become a Member! Here’s How
2017 Board of Directors:
Emeritus Board Members:Charlie McCollester and Bill Yund.
President: John Haer
Vice President: Steffi Domike
Treasurer: Norm Koehler
Secretary: Laura Wiens
Joe & Delsa White
|BATTLE OF HOMESTEAD FOUNDATION
P.O. Box 339
Homestead, PA 15120-0339
|John Haer, President
Phone: 412-478-5907 Email: firstname.lastname@example.orgThe Rivers of Steel Heritage Area rents out the Pump House for events and you can call them at 412.464.4020.