Besides the many events taking place this year, (Details coming soon!) we want to make sure that you mark July 6, 2017 on you calendar for a day-long tribute to the workers, ending up with a dramatic event that evening!
This year is an exciting one of the battle of Homestead Foundation. We will commemorate the 125th anniversary of the battle, which took place on July 6, 1892. We are planning many events that will focus on the struggle of the workers, the towns and the people who suffered the hardships of the aftermath. Check back soon for our schedule!
Some of the things we have in mind for next year:
- Dramatic readings in conjunction with the Steel Valley High School
- Student tours of local historical sites such as Carrie Furnace, Bost Building, grave sites, and the Pump House
- Retelling the story of the town of Homestead and the workers in 1892
- Possible staging of an original play in conjunction with the Pittsburgh Playwrights Theatre
- Finding our Homestead Forebears: Lessons from the Homestead Hebrews Research Project
- 1892 – The Situation of America: dealing with the events and people that made up this important year in history
- An author series and films relevant to the strike and the plight of steelworkers struggles
- A ceremony at the grave sites of the fallen workers
- Festival of Combustion showcase of the Rivers of Steel Arts (RoSA), highlighting various hot art making processes
- Collecting oral histories from families of past steelworkers and Homestead residents.
- Sharing the United Steelworkers union (USW) perspectives on labor history and diversity issues (it’s their 75th anniversary)
- Explore the ethnic backgrounds of the community
- And a few more ideas still in the works
We are open to suggestions that the public may consider and we appreciate any financial support.
If you wish to contribute to this special project, please tell us below or just write “125th anniversary” on a check payable to the Battle of Homestead Foundation. Mail to Battle of Homestead Foundation, P.O. Box 339 Homestead, PA 15120-0339.
We are a 501(c)3 charity, and donations are tax deductible.
Let us know what you think and share any ideas you may have!